Expecting mothers get their share of both happiness and sadness throughout the pregnancy period. Excitement overwhelms both parents in anticipation of the coming baby. Although it may be a heart-warming time for the parents-to-be to dwell on the day they will soon be called a family or when another child will add to their joy, there are still unpleasant thoughts that linger throughout the period. That is especially true for you, the mother-to-be, as the pregnancy will also bring in several unnecessary pains that you have to bear with as your pregnancy progresses. You will see later on why you the best pregnancy pillow for back pain can help you do this.
Throughout the nine months that your baby will be inside your tummy, you will need to ensure that everything that it needs to experience a happy and healthy pregnancy is provided. That means diligently delivering focused care to your baby.
As your baby will be depending on you for his/her nourishment, you also have to make sure that you take care of your body, too. As the baby is cradled inside your belly, you need to provide him/her the most comfortable environment. That means you should also be in an environment that is pregnancy-proof — a place where you will feel totally safe and comfortable.
One such crucial aspect that can assist you in providing the supreme care that your baby needs is the quality of rest that you provide for yourself. Parents have to endure long nights at times because the expectant mom finds it difficult to sleep in the most comfortable position. Lack of sleep can be quite stressful to anyone, much more to a pregnant woman. This can be detrimental to the overall health.
Pain in the different parts of the body caused by the altered center of gravity, the added weight of the baby, uncomfortable mattresses, are the general reasons why a pregnant woman finds it difficult to sleep. All of these can be minimized if you can find the best pregnancy pillow to use whenever you need to rest. Substituting regular pillows to provide the comfort will far from be enough.
So, what is a maternity pillow?
A maternity or a pregnancy pillow is designed to suit and support the changing contours and curves of the pregnant woman’s body so as to provide a more satisfying quality of sleep. As they are intended to provide support for the whole body, they are cut to be longer than regular pillows. Even though this pillow style is designed primarily for pregnancy, it can also be used for other purposes as well. Hence, you can keep it long after you have given birth.
What are the benefits of using a pregnancy pillow
Aside from allowing a more comfortable sleep by providing support to the whole body, a pregnancy pillow does more.
- Using a pregnancy pillow for support can minimize body aches and pains. You put on much weight as your pregnancy progresses. As a result, your center of gravity changes making it difficult for the core muscles to provide adequate support. This causes tension in the lower portions of the body, particularly the back, hips, and the legs. Resting them in the suitable position will allow the rest of your body parts (including your baby) to rest well also. A pregnancy pillow can be placed underneath those parts of the body where you feel pain and help you rest better at night or when needed.
- Proper positioning of the body on a maternity pillow helps the blood to circulate as it should. Health experts recommend sleeping on the side as it promotes blood circulation, especially for pregnant women. It could be difficult to keep a comfortable position without having something to even out your changing body contour, particularly at the belly.
A pregnancy pillow is designed to be extra soft and with adequate cushioning to allow you to sleep comfortably on your side. As there is no interference within, the blood can flow continuously and freely allowing you to feel and sleep better.
- As you can find the most comfortable position with a maternity pillow to lean on or to support parts of your body that needs support, you can sleep better longer. A good quality sleep will enhance the quality of your pregnancy.
- A pregnancy pillow is a versatile pregnancy item. You can it for other purposes even after pregnancy. You can let your child rest on it while you are nursing him/her or have it around your baby to keep it from rolling over. It can also be used to provide the much-needed support after a surgery. You can use a maternity pillow any time you need or want to as it is a very versatile product.
What are the different types of pregnancy pillows?
Pregnancy pillows come in different type, shapes, and sizes. Each variety responds to a different set of needs. To maximize the use of any of these pregnancy pillows, have a complete assessment and understanding of the discomfort that you are experiencing. This will help you find the best pillow for pregnancy that you can use to provide the quality support that you are looking for in a maternity pillow. Every pregnancy is different and so are the hurdles that any expecting woman may experience.
Following are the different types of pregnancy pillows and how they can be used to provide better sleep:
- Pregnancy wedge pillow. This is also known as a maternity cushion. It is the smallest of the pregnancy pillows available. It could either be a circular or a triangular wedge pillow. You can use it as a standard pillow and help relieve heartburn or acid reflux as it is designed to allow the head to be raised above the average body height. You can also use it as a tummy or back support while sleeping sideways.
- Full-length pregnancy pillow. These pregnancy pillows designed to support the whole body so they are long and can be used to support the arms, legs, and the tummy. You can choose either a straight full-length pregnancy pillow or a flexible full-length pregnancy pillow under this category.
- Total body pregnancy pillows. It is designed to have a height of about five to six inches and used to provide support to the spine to minimize hip and back pain. The C-shaped and the U-shaped pillows are the two types under this category. Use either of these pillows if you prefer to sleep in a riding position.
What will be the best pillow for pregnancy for you?
There are a number of factors that should come to mind when choosing the best pregnancy pillow that you should buy, such as the
- The filling of your pillow. It could be polyester fiber, styrofoam ball, microbeads, buckwheat, and other organic materials.
- The size of the pillow.
- The noise that the pillow makes as well as its smell (these can influence how well you will sleep).
- The softness of the pillow.
- The type of the pillow.
A maternity pillow can help you have a better and longer sleep. If you can find the best pillow for pregnancy, you can be assured that